Sunday, January 9, 2011

Quick 'n' easy hummus

I was feeling peckish (and looking for an excuse to stop ironing!) and wanted a healthy snack. I stopped and looked in my cupboards and, once the tumbleweeds had rolled past (it's grocery day today) I spotted a can of chickpeas and thought 'mmmm, hummus'.



Hummus is a delicious, high protein, low fat snack that I have since discovered is a cinch to make. I adapted this recipe from a cook book my good friend Sharvs gave me called 'Falling Cloudberries' (the recipe also included 3 tablespoons of tahini, which was not in my bare cupboard).


Ingredients
400g can chickpeas
Juice of 1 1/2 lemons
1 clove of garlic, crushed
3 tablespoons olive oil
Sweet paprika
Salt (to taste)


Mmm, delicious and good for you


Method
Crush garlic into a bowl and use some salt to mix into a paste
Drain chickpeas, reserving some of the water and put into the jug of a blender
Squeeze in lemon juice and add garlic paste
Blend until smooth and decant into a bowl
If the mixture is a little dry, add some of the reserved water to thin
Taste and add salt (if necessary)
Add olive oil and lightly mix through
Sprinkle with paprika


This is a light and delicious accompaniment to some crackers or fresh, crispy raw vegetables.


The hummus will keep in the fridge for a week in a airtight container.




It is especially good in original 70's tupperware!

No comments:

Post a Comment